CURRENT FEATURED ALBUM
How Do I Sort Out The Overlapping Sonny Boy I and II Recordings?
Click on the "Records" bar to your left and start with those records noted in ALL CAPITALS.
The Complete Career-Spanning Recordings
1. The Best of Trumpet Records recordings (released and unreleased) is now included in Sonny Boy Williamson: The Classic Sides 1951-1954 JSP7766 (Made in Britain) (4 CDs including 55 cuts with Sonny Boy ),
2 the rare (look for one on E-Bay) Sonny Boy williamson: The Chess Years CD Red Box 1 (4 CDs with 70 released and 19 unreleased alternatives) on Charly has everything released or unreleased on Chess, and
3. d American Folk Blues Festival '62-65 ECD26100 (5 CDs including 8 cuts by Sonny Boy) and \
4. another five performanceson The Unissued 1963 AFBF as included on The Devil's Music; The Soundtrack to The 1976 BBC TV Documentary Series INDIGO Box Set (Do not buy other versions of the Unlissued 1963 AFBF as they have an annoying high pitched feedback squeal on them. This was not released on other versions because it had that noise and they have finally engineered it out. This CD has the marvelous and unique versions of "99," "Don't Stop Me Talkin'" and "All My Love In Vain" which he has not recorded live elsewhere.).
5. There are also 13 tracks from the BBC special with Chris Barber in May 1964 which featured Sonny Boy Williamson on Lost and Found The Blues Legacy Vol. 3 available at www.blueslegacy.net .
6.Other bootlegs have been released but they are not on authorized CDs or currently available.
DVDs Of course the 13 performances + individual performances as a finale, with Mae Mercer, Victoria Spreey & Muddy Waters and DVDs on
1.The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1966 Vol 1 & 2 and
2. The British Tours 1963-1966 and
3. Memphis Slim and Sonny Boy Williamson Live In Europe from Hip-O including "Sonny Boy Williamson," the Stockholm Sweden-produced film for Storyville Records in Denmark and the Jazz Prism TV show from Belgium are on from Hip-O
Starter collections: A good collection to begin with is The Essential Sonny Boy Williamson (2CDs) or His Best (1CD) or a good career retrospective is Harp From Deep South. Don't overlook the brilliant live AFBF recordings, my favorites. Also don't miss The Animals and The Yardbirds recordings, which are, at times, unpolished and prematurely recorded but surprisingly competant.Some of Sonny Boy's features are excellent.
Note: Chess a re-recorded eight Trumpet Records originals including "Eyesight To The Blind" (as "Born Blind"). The results were often strikingly different. All of Sonny Boy's recordings for Chess Records were released on their Checker label.
Sonny Boy's Lonesome Cabin
All currently being edited and updated..
- A detailed discography covering over 50 full-length records, some very rare, by Sonny Boy plus numerous singles and 78's
- A list of all versions of all songs known to have been recorded by him.
- A discussion of his unique and moving harp style, with sample audio files.
- A collection of rare photos.
- A page of links to related resources and publications. Don't overlook this lively and informative section which introduces you to many of Sonny Boy's closest friends, peers and followers as well as gives you a brief history of Delta Blues History.
Whether you are a long-term Sonny Boy fan seeking an elusive recording or a budding harmonica player hoping to pick up a few tips from the maestro, we hope you find this site useful and interesting. If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to send us an e-mail at email@example.com before you go.
Tell us what country you are from, your relationship to Sonny Boy and or how his music has changed your.
'fessor Mojo AKA Bill Donoghue.
**************************************** PERSONAL STORIES AND REFERRALS INVITED ...
Tell us your Sonny Boy Williamson stories - everyone has them.
Everybody who ever met Sonny Boy can tell you about him and what happened when they met him. He was one of a kind. On the other hand, those thave have discovered his musi since he died in 1965, can only speak of how his lonesome moving harmonica, his lyrics or his blues singing touched them and sometimes their music.
Author, Don't Start Me To Talkin' (Preview of Sonny Boy's Bio) Available on Amazon.com
Sonny Boy is buried in Tutwiler MS next to the remains of the Whitfiield Baptist Church where it is rumor that Sonny Boy preached back in the 1930 and where his funeral was held. Sonny Boy's last two sisters Mary Ashford and Julia Barner are buried nearby. I personally visited the two sisters about three months before the fire in which they perished. The gravesite is overseen by and ta clinic is run a nun, Sister Dr. Anne Brooks who also runs The Tutwiler Medical Clinic. Visit The Sonny Boy Club www.SonnyBoyClub.com and consider donation to this worthy cause.
YOU ARE VISITOR NO. 10772 SINCE 5 MAY 1998.
WELCOME!!! WWW.SONNYBOY.COM TOPS 93,000 VISITORS
Sonny Boy Williamson recorded over 150 songs between 1951 and 1965. Most of these were his own compositions, and many were recorded more than once. A brilliant improviser, he was able to make each performance unique, through differing arrangements, tempos and even lyrics (as illustrated by the 11 takes/false starts of "Little Village" recorded in one famous session).
The list below includes all versions of all songs known to have been recorded by Sonny Boy. Unless otherwise indicated, all were written by Sonny Boy Williamson II and recorded in the studio. Most are published by Arc Music Group/BMI.
For inexplicable reasons, Arc Music does not differentiate between the songs of John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson (Sonny Boy I) and Alex "Rice" Miller (Sonny Boy II, the subject of this website). Lost or unissued takes and Sonny Boy II songs recorded only by other artists have not been included, nor have songs in which Sonny Boy was accompanying another artist.
Each song listing includes the following details:
- The full title (or titles)
- The writer (if not Sonny Boy Williamson)
- The recording date (or dates)
- The albums on which the song appears (in order of release), with links to the relevant pages.
23 Hours Too Long
"99" [a.k.a. Ninety Nine]
All My Love In Vain
All Night Boogie [instrumental]
Baby Don't Worry [a.k.a. Baby, Don't You Worry]
Baby Please Come Back Home
Boppin' With Sonny [retitled take of Clownin' With The World]
Born Blind [a.k.a. Eyesight To The Blind]
Bring It On Home [Willie Dixon]
Bye Bye Bird [Willie Dixon, Sonny Boy Williamson]
Bye Bye, Sonny, Bye Bye
Checkin' Up On My Baby
City Of New Orleans
Close To Me -- see (I Want You) Close To Me
Clownin' With The World [Instrumental]
Come Go With Me
Come On Back Home
Coming Home To You Baby
Cool, Cool Blues
Crazy About You Baby
Cross My Heart
Decoration Day (John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson)
Do It If You Wanna
Do The Weston [Instrumental]
Don't Let Your Right Hand
Don't Lose Your Eye
Don't Make A Mistake
Don't Send Me No Flowers
Don't Start Me To Talkin'
Down And Out
Down Child [a.k.a. Mr. Downchild]
Eyesight To The Blind [a.k.a. Born Blind]
Fattening Frogs For Snakes
Find Another Woman
From The Bottom [written by Lillian McMurry but credited to "Willie Williamson"]
Gettin' Out Of Town
Going In Your Direction
Good Evening Everybody
Got To Move
Had My Fun (Goin' Down Slow)(St. Louis Jimmy Oden)
Have You Enjoyed My Play?
Have You Ever Been In Love
Help Me [R. Bass, Sonny Boy Williamson]
Hurts Me So Much
I Can't Be Alone
I Can't Do Without You
I Can't Understand
I Cross My Heart
I Don't Care No More
I Don't Know
I Know What Love Is All About
I Never Do Wrong
I See A Man Downstairs
(I Want You) Close To Me [a.k.a. Close To Me] [Willie Dixon]
I Wonder Do I Have A Friend
I Wonder Why
I'm Gonna Put You Down
I'm Not Beggin' Nobody
I'm So Glad
I'm Trying To Make London My Home
It's A Boody Life
It's Rainy Outdoors, Baby
(It's) Sad To Be Alone [a.k.a. Sad To Be Alone]
Keep It To Yourself
Keep Your Hand Out Of My Pocket
Key To Your Door -- see The Key (To Your Door)
Let Me Explain
Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide
Little Girl How Old Are You
Mighty Long Time
Movin' Down The River
Mr. Downchild -- see Down Child
My Younger Days
Night Time Is The Right Time
Nine Below Zero
Ninety Nine -- see "99"
No Nights By Myself [same tune as "Mighty Long Time"; new lyrics written by Lillian McMurry but credited to "Willie Williamson"]
Nobody But You
November Boogie [Instrumental]
On My Way Back Home
Once Upon A Time
One Way Out [Sonny Boy Williamson, Elmore James, Marshall Sehorn]
Out On The Water Coast
Rebecca Blues [Peter Chatman]
Red Hot Kisses [written by and credited to Lillian McMurry]
Right Now [Willie Love]
Sad To Be Alone -- see (It's) Sad To Be Alone
She Brought Life Back To The Dead
She Got Next To Me
She Was Dumb
She's My Baby
Slowly Walk Close To Me
Somebody Help Me
Sonny Boy's Christmas Blues
Sonny Boy's Girlfriends
Sonny Boy's Harmonica Boogie
Sonny's Rhythm [Instrumental]
Sonny's Slow Walk
Steady Rollin' Man
Stop Now Baby
Stop Right Now
Take It Easy Baby
Take Your Hands Out Of My Pocket
That's All I Want [Willie Dixon]
The Key (To Your Door) [a.k.a. Key To Your Door]
The Sky Is Crying [Lewis, Robinson, James]
The Story Of Sonny Boy Williamson
This Is My Apartment
This Old Life
Tippin' Through Customs
Too Close Together
Too Old To Think
Too Young To Die
Trust My Baby
Trying To Get Back On My Feet
Understand My Life
Wake Up Baby
West Memphis Blues
When The Lights Went Out
Who's Gonna Take Care Of You?
Why Are You Crying?
Work With Me
You Killing Me
Your Funeral And My Trial
- APIBA Portrait In Blues
- BMV12Blues Masters, Vol. 12
- BRBummer Road
- BWSBoppin' With Sonny
- CKRChecker / Chess Singles
- CWTWClownin' With The World
- DAOBDown And Out Blues
- DMAMDon't Make A Mistake
- DSMNFDon't Send Me No Flowers
- FTBFrom The Bottom
- GIYDGoin' In Your Direction
- HBHis Best
- KBTKing Biscuit Time
- KITOKeep It To Ourselves
- MRFBMore Real Folk Blues
- OWOOne Way Out
- SBRSonny Boy's Rhythm
- SBWSonny Boy Williamson
- SBW&TYSonny Boy Williamson & The Yardbirds
- SBWIESonny Boy Williamson In Europe
- TAASBWThe Animals And Sonny Boy Williamson
- TBOSBWThe Blues Of Sonny Boy Williamson
- TESBWThe Essential Sonny Boy Williamson
- TIMSThis Is My Story
- TPTTrumpet 78's
- TRFBThe Real Folk Blues